Raincoast Presents Mushrooms of the West Coast
Mushrooms of the West Coast
with instructors Andy MacKinnon & Erin Feldman
October 6-8, 2017/ Thanksgiving Weekend
This three-day field-course (Friday evening until Sunday noon), will introduce participants to the wonderful world of West Coast Mushrooms. Topics to be covered include:
• Introduction to fungi - what are they, and what is their role in our forests?
• Essentials of collecting and identifying fungi in the field
• Edible, medicinal and poisonous fungi
• Cooking with wild mushrooms
• Introductory presentation for mushroom course participants - overview of wild mushrooms, different fungus groups, role of fungi in ecosystems & mushroom identification.
• Field collection of wild mushrooms at field site.
• Sorting of mushroom collections, spore prints, microscope ID session. Cooking wild mushrooms with Chef Ian Riddick, Executive Chef at the Great Room at Long Beach Lodge Resort.
• That Mushroom looks delicious! Will it kill me?
• Field collection and identification of wild mushrooms at field site. Group lunch and course wrap-up.
About the instructors:
Andy MacKinnon is a forest ecologist with the BC Forest Service in Victoria. His fields of study include BC's native plants, fungi and lichens. Andy is co-author of six field guides to plants of western North America.
Erin Feldman is a graduate student completing her MSc in mycology at the University of British Columbia.