“Salmon. No, spot prawns”, answers Chef Nick Nutting thoughtfully, as if he’d never been asked his favourite local seafood in years of leading the kitchen brigade at the Wickaninnish Inn. Executive Chef Warren Barr chimes in agreement, leading to a fast-paced discussion of all they can do with this sustainable (and succulent) shrimp. It’s prime season for savouring sweet spot prawns, fished off the shores of Vancouver Island. This is also the time to celebrate local food in Tofino, first with the Feast Tofino culinary event series, on through May. Next comes the 11th annual Tofino Food and Wine Festival, June 7th to 9thThis executive chef team first met while working over a snowy Montreal winter. From there, Warren spent summer seasons as Executive Chef at Prince Edward Island’s The Inn at Bay Fortune, while Nick returned to his adopted hometown of Tofino. It turns out that this is a small world, especially when you’re a chef in Canada, as they reunited in the Wickaninnish Inn kitchen in 2010. Chefs Nick and Warren talk the talk and eat the food, and their time away from the Inn is often spent enjoying the creations of fellow Tofino chefs. Lisa Ahier’s work at SoBo Restaurant gets high, head-shaking-in-disbelief praise, and Warren speaks of repeat visits to Jack’s Waterfront Pub for the pulled pork poutine. Tough City Sushi is a favourite for Nick, with its Buddha Rolls and the added “seasoning” of the charismatic Crazy Ron. Tofino is a haven for food lovers, and Chefs Warren Barr and Nick Nutting are happily producing - and enjoying - dishes that speak to sustainable, fresh and delicious cuisine.
Samantha Fyleris Marketing & Media Coordinator
Posted: May 23rd, 2013
Follow @tourism_tofino on Twitter
- It's #SurfMonth! E-news subscribers entered to win a #Tofino holiday! @BCFerries,@PacificSands,@RhinoTofino & more: http://t.co/XIoiXZCvdEabout 6 hours agoRetweet
- Some tasty #SurfMonth offers in #Tofino this October, from @ChocolateTofino, Schooner Restaurant & more! http://t.co/VnNf8lkAjt1 day agoRetweet
- @BackcntryBeauty Welcome to the club! Glad you're loving Tofino.1 day agoRetweet
Full Site Map
Sign up for our Newsletter - and you're entered to win!
All existing and new subscribers during Surf Month this October are automatically entered to win a Tofino Stay, Surf and Dine Getaway, featuring:
- Two nights accommodation in a Lighthouse Suite at *Pacific Sands Beach Resort*
- A 3-hour group surf lesson for two with *Surf Sister Surf School*
- Takeout dinner at *Redcan Gourmet* ($70 gift certificate) and a $20 gift certificate to *Rhino Coffee House*
- Return ferry passage to Vancouver Island for two adults (and one standard vehicle) on *BC Ferries*!
Conditions & blackout dates apply. Prize to be drawn on November 3rd.